Happy New Year! I hope you had a wonderful holiday season and are continuing a season of joy rather than buying into any of the elimination or fear-mongering fads that often bombard us in January. It is certainly cold in New England, which means we have to work smarter about where to find the fun.
Lake George + Adirondacks
- An Ice Castle is set to appear later this month in Lake George Village at the Festival Commons. A really 'cool' way to spend a winter afternoon.
- If you're looking for the perfect retreat, Whiteface Lodge in Lake Placid, has exactly what you need to cosy up. Whether skiing, sightseeing at the Olympic Park or enjoying the Adirondack winter, this is the perfect home base. I can't wait to visit one day!
Boston + New England
- Titian's Rape of Europa has finally returned to its original place in the Gardner after a world tour and the Gardner's own special exhibition on the artist. It's now back on view in the aptly named, Titian Room.
- MFA Boston's annual open house is back for MLK Jr. Day on January 17.
- If you're north of Boston and looking for a pick-me-up, check out Bird&Wolf cafe and restaurant. The perfect place for either a coffee and pastry or a fine dining experience.
Places to Wander
- Italy celebrated la Festa della Befana on January 6. You may have seen images of people dressed up like witches, complete with crooked noses. This celebrates the Epiphany in Christianity when the Three Kings arrived in Bethlehem to see Jesus. For Italian children, this is when stockings are filled and the Christmas seasonal officially comes to a close.
Things I'm Loving
- One of my favorite podcasts — and especially good for cold winter months when you're longing for a new food scene — is Chris Kimball's Milk Street. Highly educational, fun and inspiring — its a podcast that never gets old for me. Whether you're a new home cook or have been in the kitchen for decades, you'll learn ingenious tips, hear from beloved celebrity chefs, and come away from each episode with a greater appreciation for what food does to connect us. After all, we have a lot more similarities than differences and nothing beats a shared meal at the table.
2 thoughts on “This Month on the Muse Life”
The Ice Castles look amazing — but pretty cold. So sorry I didn’t know about the Titian exhibit before it closed. I would have loved to see those paintings
Really enjoyed learning about Festa della Befana. I didn’t know about her
Whiteface Lodge looks lovely but once again maybe in warmer weather.
We visited the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC last week. What a gorgeous hotel and amazing spa facility. Thinking of trying to schedule a spa visit one of these days. Hope this link works. Click through all the photos til you get to the ones of the spa
Wow! looks so lovely!